Sunday, August 31, 2008

Beyond a Saturday Morning Cartoon.

I have just finished one of the greatest series in cartoon history. Yes I watch cartoons. I love animation and I always will. But so far...Avatar has been my favorite. No, not even the season 1 finale of Pokemon even compares...or the end of the first three seasons of Digimon. Ok...so those were on when I was like 8 and a very long time ago. But I still remember how wonderful and complete I felt after watching a great cartoon episode, or finished an inspiring book, or even finish a great conversation with an old friend. But sad to say...Avatar has topped all of the cartoons I've ever watched.

Not only was the animation glorious in each episode, as some animators are prone to cut out on when a series gets popular enough and kids rarely notice anyways, but the list goes on! The storyline was amazing. The characters were thinking beings that were unique, not repeat characters from storylines before it. Even when they had filler episodes, I didn't finish the episode with a sense of wasted time...beyond being mad that I didn't get to see cool action sequences...but alas you can't have your cake and eat it too...anyways, but when the saturday morning cartoon world has taken a turn for chaotic and retarted, Avatar was more than a breath of fresh air. It also helped that it had japanese anime humour in it even though it was created by an American (according to my knowledge) so it's not even anime!

But I almost didn't watch it. Why, you might ask, when so close to the very end do you decide to stop watching it? It tends to happen more often than not with me if you must know. Just like how I'll usually only leave one bite of food left on my plate no matter how good the meal, I tend to stave off finishing most entertainment related things. For Avatar it was because a new episode hadn't come out in awhile and two weeks ago my brother informed me that the season had ended O.O yes...so it took a bit for me to get a hold of internet that would allow me to watch the episodes (which I have every intention of buying all of them on DVD when they come out in a box set, I just don't do 4 episodes per cd for it's just wrong!). During that down time I told my Dad of my excitement...and he said that I should use my time for better things. I respect my Father's opinion in all things. So I decided to think about it.

I once read up to The Crossroads of Twilight in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and stopped there because I felt the story was getting too...disgusting. I didn't like the way all of the main characters where going...except for Matt whose only problem was cursing in the cursing of his world...language...religious...things...yeah. Read the book. Anyways, there was a reason to stop reading that series. I decided despite the fact that Robert Jordan was the greatest author I've ever read, that I would stop because I did not feel comfortable with the story. But from my Father I felt the only reason to stop watching Avatar was because I should use my time for better things.

I want to seek out better things with my time...but have you ever seen Avatar? I love it sooooooo much! It has such morals in it, transcending a story, that actually inspire me to be a better person. Ridiculous? Go watch a few episodes and then you'll see what I mean. That show is beyond a Saturday morning cartoon. That's what led me to watch it despite my Father's promptings. I knew it was better and I knew I wanted to watch it.

Other awesome cartoons that come with my recommendation are 'The Fairly Odd Parents', 'Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends', and 'The Muppet's Show'...ok so that last one is old and not really a cartoon per-say but I'm trying to get through season 2 now so that I can start on season 3 :D staring Fozzie Bear on the cover! Waka waka! I'm still trying to find the episode with Han Solo and Luke Skywalker on it...it's not on season one and I haven't seen it in season two yet...>:( hyum...

2 comments:

Marie said...

I too share your love for Avatar- it is beautiful. I also love foster's home for imaginary friends- those two are quality entertainment. If I can get my hands on some extra cash I would love all episodes that they ever made. I would also like to see Dinosaurs again. no, not pre-historic ones, these: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm84842496/tt0101081

Strawboat said...

:D I remember those! But I don't remember the plot lines...I remember them though :D