Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Kafriginboom

:D So the title of this post is in honor of the movie 'Get Smart'. Glorious movie, and one of the 5 I saw over Thanksgiving break. Yes, it would seem my friends and family consider me a large movie go-er because with the short amount of time I had at home I was privileged to see oh so many. It's almost one a day! Yesh...anyways I thought I'd take this opportunity to expound on cursing.

From the ever so elusive c-word (elusive because most people don't consider it a curse word besides me) to the F bomb, there are many a words we use to curse various objects. This has been an odd battle for me, I don't want to impose my own feelings on my friends and family, and that's why I've often kept my reasons for not cursing to myself. Anyways, there's three main reasons

  1. If I started I would never stop. I used to curse like a Sailor when I was younger and I find that if I stray a little by letting certain words or phrases slip that I find it harder to stop than before.
  2. It's profane and improper. It just doesn't sound like you are able to control yourself let alone your anger. It causes hesitation that instead of thinking of a solution to a situation that you're cursing you're busy blasting it with various phrases. I really feel it shows a lack of self control. Plus if I'm angry I tend to lash out at others irrationally.
  3. You aught to be able to describe yourself with articulate and well-thought out vernacular. I think that with the assistance of self-control one can come to a better expression of oneself than just angry thoughtless cursing.
OK... so 2 and 3 are kinda the same...but yeah. Mind you these are like the extremes of my opinions. When someone curses in front of my I'm not secretly thinking to myself "Idiot", far from it. I concentrate more on not letting it get into my own thoughts. I think that everyone aught to have their agency. I don't like it when someone curses around me but that's life. I do occasionally ask people to tone it town a bit...but that doesn't happen too often. And in the end I hope no one is offended by my opinion. It's more of an idiosyncrasy of mine than something you should take to heart. :)

1 comment:

Bruce said...

Good call. I quite don't like cursing, including the "elusive c-word," either. In fact, I rather wish movies and other forms of entertainment would capitalize less on them. But I suppose they all like the power of these Anglo-Saxon words.