Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Oh Sarcasm...

So today is Mardi Gras, if you didn't know, and I decided to celebrate it in style! Ok...really I just wore a bead necklace all day and was really sarcastic all day, but at the most conservative school in the nation it's a lot more fun than you think it might be (you'll probably deduce why whilst you read on)!

Mardi Gras has been an evolving holiday for me. When I was younger I thought it was a huge party, equivalent to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride...
Then I learned that both scenes are more risk-kay than originally thought. I came to this knowledge when my oh-so-informed older sister's friend informed me that you get Mardi Gras beads for flashing people. My liking for Mardi Gras beads was sadly diminished on that day...they're so cool.
Then there's always the Hunchback of Notre Dame! From this movie I took it to be a holiday to celebrate dead people and how much I love that little goat.

Now I feel it's the day before Lent that everyone does what they are not supposed to the day before they are going to swear it off for 40 days...As such Mardi Gras has become far more ignoble than I once though of it just being an excuse to have a good time. Any way you look at it, I like to 'celebrate' it in my own way because I like Francophone related things.

So there you have the timeline of what Mardi Gras means to me. I also want to take this oppourtunity to let you place bets (unless your giving up betting for lent...) because I plan to give up sarcasm for Lent. That's right. 40 days without me saying one thing sarcastic. No pointedly insulting people without them knowing it, no pointing out the obvious in an altered voice to make a point, and no more...*sigh*...sarcasm. It'll be interesting to say the least and everyone that I've told doesn't think I can do it. Well...I'll let you know the day I fail.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So are you 1/2 Catholic like Sara? Is that why you are giving up sarcasm for lent?? What do we get if you lose??? This is going to be too much fun!! ;)

Alec Erickson said...

Oh you can totally do it! I'm not saying it'll be easy... heck, I'm not even saying it'll be worth it. But won't you feel so accomplished if, sorry, when you do it?! I'm rooting for you!!!

Michael said...

Wait...how did you get those beads you wore today?

Strawboat said...

haha, no I'm not half catholic. I'm just trying to see why other religions do things in a respectful way...And why do I have to give you something!? I'll think about it...

I won them by making up a story about what the French president was doing for Mardi Gras in my french class...

Thank you for the vote of confidence :)