Monday, June 7, 2010

Teh-has part 1

So...two weeks ago I was asked by an old friend to come out to Texas and be an intern. One week later I was on my way to San Antonio Texas to help him out. Not only that, but I get to help me out. I was looking forward to a lackadaisical summer where I would work a 40 hour a week job and burn my free time with friends.



And I'd have to say that's the biggest drawback. I'm leaving behind all my friends in Provo. I suppose this is what graduation is going to feel a bit like...but I'll wait to feel that grief for when it comes. To my friends I give these words of consolation; Friendships never end, they're simply put on pause. I'm good with goodbyes cause I know one day we'll serendipitously meet again! Like at Wal Mart when I'm making a midnight run to buy a Bop It game. Trust me, it's worth it.


On to Texas! The state that's vastly inferior to California...right? Well, before last week I viewed Texas through biased eyes. It was a place where everyone was Republican, they all had shotguns, drove gas guzzlers, and were a people that kept to themselves. I have since then found out that I was biased. Blame the Simpson's and King of the Hill. The people are nice, the bums are well dressed (haven't seen one that wears worn clothes), not everyone drives gas guzzlers (they have Texas edition trucks though), the grocery stores have those environmentally friendly bags, and wherever there's an American flag flying there's a Texas flag pole right next to it to accompany it. It's just...AMAZING...and I will sheepishly admit that I was wrong to ever say anything negative about Texas.


This is how we got there! I LOVE LOVE LOVE road trips! This one was no exception. The red rocks of Colorado, the expansive desert of New Mexico and Texas, and the signs on the side of the roads that said "Don't mess with Texas" are to die for. Gorgeous! I'm taking pictures best I can but to be quite honest they just don't do them justice.


So of course I have goals for the summer. The first was to get to the Alamo. Check. I walk past it every day for goodness sake! I feel so patriotic! :D
Goals
1. Draw the Alamo and San Antonio Temple
2. Go to Six Flags/Sea World/Shlitterban?(it's a water park)
3. Get Cowboy boots and a belt buckle that says "Don't Mess with Texas"
4. Get a picture of one of the signs that say "Don't Mess with Texas; Littering fine" (It's harder than you think!)
5. Visit at least one pool parlor
6. Find an Organ I can practice on (Check! But I still want to find one in one of the Catholic Cathedrals)
7. Find San Antonio Public Library (Check)
8. Buy a Hammock! (And therefore read all the books I brought)
9. Eat at Rudy's (allegedly best BBQ in Texas)
10. Get more goals! :D



So there you have it. I'm in Texas, it's amazing, and I'm going to have a blast. Whoot! It's going to be challenging but I basically plan to dominate this internship and squeeze in as much fun as I can while I do it!

No comments: