Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Never Evers Land

So I wanted to remember this whole day because I KNEW it was going to be a good one. :D It started early with a meeting for work. Some are excited, some are tired...but everyone is posing for this picture. :D

But my day wasn't going to be good because I had to wake up early, nope! It was because today was the day that I had the wonderful opportunity to learn how to ski! :D That's right, after much anticipation and contained potential, I unleashed it all on the slopes today.





Not only did I get to glide down hills of amazing snow, I met some amazing
(ly connected to me) people today. First there's G. I couldn't say/remember her whole name no matter how hard I tried. We got our ski's fitted on the same day awhile ago surprisingly enough haha. Then there's Aaron. You know it's a bad sign for what the rest of the day will entail when you can't carry your own ski gear. Luckily Aaron was there heading to the bus to help me out. We 'elbow' fived many a times for odd reasons...hence the picture. He also happens to be in my 'never ever' class. Lastly there's Joanna. She happens to have been in my freshman ward and...I didn't remember...but she remembered me...but we had fun all the same despite my deplorable memory. As Sherlock Holmes would say ->If only we could see all the intricate strings that attach us to one another...

Next was the bus up there. I <3 onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiEMWn5CD0OBdwVsaRKNjAjFHw85-0ThvcgvcE9EO_ROgqnlgZwxVZyHe5S68ZiBV0JrhKLpkk8HlBcD4ZTIny-EWYk8H0rc7GGZ4VZTuNp_oWcomy8_exUpSJyJC3_GDXV5gTC-vSfENBI/s1600-h/DSCN0581.JPG">
I have to give kudos to the people that helped me today too. There's Sue the golf teacher on the left who happened to be my ski instructor. She has amazing patience and it is my goal to smear peanut butter on pizza just as well as she can by the end of this adventure. On the ski lift are the people who were kind enough to witness all 3 of my falls and not laugh at me. Or so I hope @_@;.

Yes I fell three times. We learned all the basics today. After we learned how to stop we traveled up to what I fondly call the 'bunny hill' (just because it's called something else but I've ALWAYS wanted to go on a bunny hill so yes...). There I learned how to turn and practice...there was no falling until I went up the lift (surprise). I'll give you one of the falls...just one. I was going pretty well on when I didn't straighten out my ski in time in one of our gentle turns...so I started going straight down the hill and began to think "Oh no I'm going faster...lots faster". Making a wedge wasn't slowing me down and fear had taken a hold of me so I wouldn't turn. Usually I like rides that go fast...I bet it was that waiver I had to sign that scared me...yes. Anyways, I had just past a group of snowboarders and I decided to take a leaf out of their book. I slid down on my side in a sharp turn and stopped dead in my tracks! :D Then a random instructor helped me back up and pointed out "You have little-kid syndrome!" If falling down for the third time wasn't humbling enough, this clinched it to be sure.

The funny thing is that I was expecting to have to switch out my glasses for sunglasses while on the slopes. Though it didn't happen this time, I did end up wearing them on the bus ride back. Probably better than being blind and hitting people in my downward run.

Well, my roomies and I decided we were going to make this day even better for me by pumping full of some of my favorite foods...and play with chop sticks.









As my room mate said, "oh how sad...*looks at second picture* you got your sushi!"

Yes I did Alec, yes I did.

3 comments:

Michael said...

i forgot you were taking that class. best class of my college career. way to go! we'll have to hit the slopes after it's over...by the end, you'll be fearless and ready for any run.

Alec Erickson said...

Oh yes what fun! Sushi was actually good. And your pictures were so funny - I think my comments were perfect... but I think they're backwards on here :P

Strawboat said...

:( It didn't post right! I tried to edit it twice but yeah...:D fearless eh? I like the sound of that hehe.