Thursday, January 22, 2009

Having an Ephiphany.

Alright...so I'm 16 days late...but today I celebrated the glorious thing that is Epiphany. It's originally celebrated on the 6th of January. I don't know the oober detailed history behind it...so please do see the link if you're curious, but I do know it's the day to celebrate the three wise men and their visiting the Christ child.

But, as is the case with all religious holidays, there comes a secular version of it. According to 'Le Club' in my local town, you are to celebrate it by eating King's Cake.

This is King's Cake. Yes there was a crown on the cake. Our cake was made with Marzipan in the middle...quite good. And so it goes; the oldest person at the table cuts the cake while the youngest says what person the slice goes to. Then you hope and you pray that you find a...

BABY! That's right. In each cake there is a random baby figurine baked (or placed) into the cake and the lucky person whose slice has the baby gets crowned King (or Queen)!

So that's the basics of the event. It wasn't a very serious celebration, but we had some fun. We filled out questionaires, listened to Beatles songs that were translated into French, and (of course) enjoyed lots of cake. Can you guess who won :D! Well...let's just say I've been wearing my crown all night even though my roommates aren't too keen on believing that I'm a Queen...yet. I'll be milking it, no worries. In fact *heavy sarcasm*, I think I'll require royal paper, constant oaths of fealty, and deep bowing all week.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Why, that cakes fit for a king...ah ha ha!

Strawboat said...

too bad it wasn't CHEESE-E-cake...