Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday Thoughts-Part 2

Skiing

How amazing is it to go 30 mph down a hill with no form of technology save 4 sticks? It's amazing. I love it cause I do believe it is the closest I will ever come to flying!

Of course I'm always trying to get better. Three weeks ago I went to Brighton and did just that. I pushed myself harder, I went faster than ever before, and I even did a jump of 1 foot off a little ramp. Very praiseworthy if I do say so myself.

However I have a goal this season and that is to go enough times so that I can no longer count how many times I've gone on my fingers. I've gone 8 times, so I think I can commit to going two more times this season, no? Otherwise I'll just revise my goal to be 10 times before this year is up and pray that it dumps snow next winter...which I already do anyways!

The real question is, do I want to buy my own set of ski's? How do I decide!?!? Well, that's simple economics my friends. Until I go enough times in order to make buying ski's an efficient choice, I should continue to rent. To rent it costs me $12 and to buy ski's it's around $700. So methinks once I start going 60 times a season, I'll buy my own set of ski's. :D

3 comments:

Michael said...

Yes, but are you considering the long term value of the skis? You could use the same set of skis for 6 years, and if you're going 10 times a year, that right there would make it more economical to buy, no? If you do buy, I recommend waiting 'til all the snow melts and then going to a huge end of winter blowout sale. They usually have great deals on skis and boards. One of Anne's coworkers bought everything (hat, jacket, goggles, pants, skis, poles, etc.) for about $600. So that is what I recommend.

Holly K said...

I went skiing one time. And it took me all day to even be able to stay up on them. Turns out my problem was I was leaning too far into the poles every time I changed direction, which threw me off balance. Once my friend took my poles away, I was able to make it down the mountain.

Also, Michael totally has a point. I was gonna say that, but he beat me to it. Hence the anecdote instead.

Strawboat said...

I'll think about it. Your economic reasoning is sound...but not until I go more than twice a season D: