Friday, February 12, 2010

Friday Thoughts- part 1

I'm going on a mission

Not really.

I just randomly think about it from time to time. It's dangerous grounds, let me tell you. For a moment you teeter on the edge of deciding to do it before you remember that you won't be doing it. I always begin to think about it when I realize, come this June, I'll be the ONLY one in my family NOT to have taken out their endowments. Although you probably shouldn't be competitive about such things...I HATE that my little brother beat me to it! AH!

That aside, I also always wonder where in the world would I go? I base where I would have gone on my sister. I figure they treat all sister missionaries the same in that if a sister missionary studied Spanish for 3ish years before the mish, they'll send her somewhere Spanish speaking. As such I'll go somewhere where they speak French for sure!

Last year I was in a ward where every member seemed to think I'd gone on a mission. We'd be doing the standard getting to know you questions (major, what you want to do with your life, your favorite version of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, etc.) and missions would come up. I LOVE the look on a face when they'd find out I hadn't. But I decided in order to avoid that situation that I would start telling people I did serve a mission. Canada, South Montreal, French Speaking. Best year and a half of my life.

But then again...people often get sent to the last place they want to go. God has a sense of humor if you're wondering why that happens. If THAT's the case...I think I'll end up in a Spanish speaking mission...in the States. I have no desire to learn Spanish and going on a mission where I'd have to might be more than I could bare. Then again it might teach me to abnormally love Spanish, which wouldn't be too horrible I imagine. Then I could understand that one Killer's song in its entirety.

4 comments:

Michael said...

1. Why are you blogging at 7:28 AM?

2. If you want French, you'll probably end up in someplace like The Congo or something.

Holly K said...

Heh-- I always guess Chicago Spanish-speaking when people are waiting for their call.

So I'm sure that's where you would go if you went.

:)

Unknown said...

haha Temple Square Spanish speaking!! Then to somewhere random like Arkansas for the proselytizing part of your mission;)
PS I agree with Michael, why were you blogging at 7:28 AM???

Strawboat said...

I actually don't know how that happened...I'm pretty sure I was doing it later than that since I was picking up a cone order at that time. Let's go with the computer I was on was a little off time-wise!