Sunday, September 21, 2008

Grandpa

Ok, this is going to be a depressing post, but I felt the need to pay some tribute to my Grandpa for he was such an interesting part in my life.

Sadly I cannot afford a picture to my readers of him because any that I do have cannot currently get on the computer. But if you would picture him in your mind's eye...He was a tall man who steadily attained a rocking gait as he aged through my life. He walked well though for that was one of his main hobbies. He had pristine blue eyes that weren't bright, but the intelligence and concern were still evident in all of his looks. He always had his characteristic straw hat--always forgotten after a Sunday dinner--and broken-in blue sweatshirt. Humility became his trademark in my later years and he always strove to offend no one. His smile would have been perfect if not for what old age does to teeth.Being a hard worker to the end, evidenced by the sunspots on his head, and I will always have fond memories of him and our tulips. He was truly a paternal figure...of sorts.

He died today. I got the call from my mom some time after church. It's an interesting conflict of emotions. Odd enough I have only seen my mother go through the experience of her parents dying...and I still remember when my Grandma died. Hers was the only funeral I've gone to family-wise...so once again maybe I'll be able to develop some empathy for those who go through these things more often than myself.

1 comment:

smileykatpea said...

im so sorry chelsea! :( i didn't know this happened. i wish you or dakota had said something, so i now offer you my condolances. i know from expirience that it really hurts to lose someone so close. my grandpa died about a month ago so your pain is still freshly understood by mine. hope you'll get through your grieving procces in a healthy way. much love, kat.---<3----